Frequently Asked Questions about the Transition and Search for the Next President
- Jun 24, 2008
This list of frequently asked questions was prepared by Dr. Craig Williford upon his resignation.
1. Why did President Williford resign?
After prayerful reflection and conversation, President Williford judged it was time to seek another place of service. He offered his resignation on June 20, 2008, and the Board of Trustees accepted this decision. Without reservation, the seminary community affirms President Williford's integrity, commitment, and Christian character. Throughout the past eight years, he embodied the standards of a Christian leader in all aspects of his conduct. Even in parting the Board and Dr. Williford stand together before God for the future of Denver Seminary.
2. How will the interim period and transition be handled?
Dr. Randy MacFarland will serve as Acting President until an interim president can be named. The Board of Trustees desires to name the new interim president by the beginning of the fall term in late August 2008. A search committee is being formed and will start their work soon. Additionally, the board may seek assistance from various outside consultants on the search process. At numerous stages in the search process, the Board and search advisory committee will seek input from the Denver Seminary community.
3. What about the future direction of the seminary?
The Board of Trustees affirms the current mission, values and vision of Denver Seminary. The Board will seek a new president who will embody our mission and values while leading us to fulfill our vision. At the same time a new president will bring an enthusiasm and fresh perspective to the future God has for Denver Seminary. The Board does not anticipate any major changes in the general direction of the seminary. We will continue to honor our historical emphases as a learning community.
4. How can we best pray for and support the seminary during this transition?
Please pray for:
- The seminary community during this transition and for a new interim president.
- The Board to have godly wisdom in how they lead during this transition.
- The new search committee and for God's choice for a new president.
In addition to prayer, you can support by:
- Continuing to encourage your friends to attend Denver Seminary
- Prayerfully considering how you might use your resources to support the financial needs of Denver Seminary during this transition
- Taking classes
- Serving as a mentor