Network and Systems Engineer at Asbury Seminary
- Posted: 1/23/2013
- Location: Wilmore/Lexington, KY
- URL: http://blogs.asburyseminary.edu/seminary-employment/2013/01/network-and-systems-engineer-kentucky-campus/
- Hours: Full TIme
Network and Systems Engineer (Kentucky Campus)
Position Title: Network and Systems Engineer
Department: Information Technology
Reports To: Chief Technology Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Application Deadline: Until Filled
Provides technical support to the Seminary by focusing on design, implementation and maintenance of solutions to the Seminary’s servers, infrastructure, network (LAN, WAN, Internet) and application service needs.
• Provide primary line of support for all business critical Seminary servers and systems
• Research, design and implement solutions that optimize server provisioning, configuration management, performance
• Build, optimize and maintain Linux and Windows servers both physical and virtual (VMWare)
• Install, configure and optimize performance of all server based software
• Install, configure and optimize performance of database servers
• Perform and verify centralized backups of Linux and Windows servers
• Maintain security of internal & external networks
• Implement and maintain information security standards as set forth by Seminary
• Perform regular periodic security and performance testing on Seminary systems
• Make recommendations to enhance maintainability, security and recoverability of Seminary systems
• Design and implement disaster recovery/business continuity solutions
• System documentation to include system reviews and recommendations
• Communication with customers as required: keeping them informed of incident progress, notifying them of impending changes or agreed outages
• Design, develop and implement systems monitoring and alerting solution
• Assist in establishing and implementing configuration management program and policies
- Improve customer service, perception, and satisfaction
- Document internal processes and procedures related to duties and responsibilities
- Author internal documentation, such as environment diagrams, installation/configuration documents and release notes
- Review IT publications and online materials to remain up-to-date with current and future technologies emerging in the industry
- Troubleshoot and debug environment and infrastructure problems found in the production and non-production environments
- Provide Local and Wide Area Network support
- Monitor software used to send alerts when network problems occur
- Review server logs for anomalies or errors
- Analyze server resource usage to measure efficiency and determine upgrade needs
- Maintain internal and external DNS and DHCP services (Windows DNS and Bind)
- On call for all Seminary issues related to Information Technology
- Contribute to “New Equipment Budget” planning consisting of approximately $250,000.
Education/Certification/Training/Experience Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Undergraduate or Technical degree in Computer Science required.
- Ability to identify, analyze and troubleshoot problems required.
- Knowledge of Cisco IOS and TCP/IP network layer required.
- Knowledge of VMWare for server virtualization required.
- Knowledge of iSCSI storage area networks required (Dell EqualLogic).
- Knowledge of Ubuntu GNU/Linux Server and Windows Server operating systems required.
- Comfortable with open source software and communities required.
- Ability to use programming languages such as perl, php and python desired.
- Be able to maintain confidentiality, due to access to highly sensitive data.
- Strong desire to learn and keep up with changes in technology
- Strong back for heavy lifting up to 50 pounds
Go to Technology and Computers (Networks, Internet, etc.) projects / All Jobs