MDiv with a Concentration in Outdoor Leadership
The Heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge... Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth.
-From Psalm 8 &19
What is a Master of Divinity with a concentration in Outdoor Leadership?
God has given us an incredible laboratory for learning to love Him – His creation! Have you experienced how God uses His creation to ignite our hearts, shape our character, and train us for service? The Master of Divinity with a concentration in Outdoor Leadership combines the biblical, theological, and pastoral breadth of the classic M.Div. with wilderness and adventure experiences led by experts in outdoor ministry. This concentration will provide you with the essentials for planning and facilitating outdoor ministry shaped by a solid biblical framework. You will receive the skills and resources necessary for outdoor ministry that is biblically faithful, spiritually rich, and personally engaging. And there is no better place than at a world-class seminary located in the Front Range of Colorado’s Rocky Mountains!
The MDiv with concentration in Outdoor Leadership is excellent preparation for goals such as
Ministry positions with an existing camp or organization
Launching a new ministry focused on wilderness, adventure, and challenge
Cross-cultural missiological engagement in the U.S. and internationally
- Courses focus on the theology, philosophy, soft-skills and meta-skills of wilderness ministry and adventure programming.
- Special emphases on the use of wilderness ministry and adventure programming for evangelism, discipleship, leadership development, spiritual formation, and in mission.
- Courses are taught by Christian ministry leaders who are theologically, experientially, and academically equipped.
- Courses are academic and experiential, utilizing our classrooms in Littleton and the rivers, lakes, peaks and backcountry wilderness of Colorado and Wyoming.
- Courses are experiential opportunities enhanced through partner relationships with some of the top Christian organizations in the Rocky Mountain Region.
In addition to the MDiv core (85 hours), this concentration involves 12 hours of outdoor leadership classes.
|Outdoor Leadership Concentration||Course #||Sem. Hrs.|
|Outdoor Leadership Organization and Management||OL 503||3|
|Outdoor Leadership Electives|| 6
A sample of elective classes:
OL 500 - Introduction to Wilderness Ministry (2 hours)
OL 601 - Stewardship in Creation: Theology and Outdoor Practice (2 hours)
OL 602 - Adventure Ministry in Cross-Cultural Context (2 hours)
OL 650 - Outdoor Leadership Practicum (2 hours)
OL 670 - Adventure Ministry Leadership and Programming (2 hours)
Jim Doenges is one of the lead guides for the Outdoor Leadership program and is the Program Director and Senior Instructor at Solid Rock Outdoor Ministries. Jim is a licensed minister with the Disciples of Christ denomination, and has over 30 years of experience in backpacking and mountaineering, including 40-day wilderness courses and summits on four continents (Aconcagua, McKinley, Kilimanjaro, and others).
Check us out! We may be the right place for your next step in ministry training.