Executive Pastor and Pastor of Worship at Bethel Evangelical Free Church
- Posted: 3/13/2013
- Location: Devils Lake, ND
- URL: http://www.bethelfree.com
- Salary/Range: To be determined based on gifts and experience
- Hours: Full time
Senior Associate Pastor and Pastor of Worship
In a sentence, Bethel church is looking for a catalyst leader with a pastor's heart who loves to lead people in worship. Bethel Church is in a season of change, having broken through the 200 barrier but now outgrowing the systems and thinking that worked at the smaller church level. As a church with a growing missional footprint in the area, Bethel needs this kind of leader to work with its Senior Pastor and elders to strategize for its future – now!
His primary role will be Senior Associate Pastor of Bethel Church and he will strategize and implement the mission and direction of the church as defined by the senior pastor and elders. Two words that describe this person are: Strategist and Implementer. The Senior Associate Pastor will align staff and leadership teams with its mission, assisting all ministries to implement the mission. The Senior Associate Pastor will ensure that the systems, practices, and policies of the church responsibly and effectively support its mission and vision.
In partnership with the Senior Pastor, he will communicate strategy and direction to the people of Bethel Church. He will partner with the Pastoral Staff, Elders and Ministry Leaders as they work to facilitate the mission and direction of Bethel Church.
His secondary role will be Pastor of Worship of Bethel Church overseeing all worship-related ministries at Bethel, in particular those on Sundays. He will plan, coordinate and lead or enlist leadership for the worship services and other worship-related ministries. He will provide strategic leadership and an equipping mindset for the overall worship and music ministry of the church.
Senior Associate Pastor: (expected to be about 75% of his time use)
Strategic Leadership and Planning
o Strategize and implement the mission and vision of the church as defined by the senior pastor and elders.
o Responsible for strategic planning and staff coordination in the execution of Bethel Church’s mission and vision.
o Help define strategic goals and provide the catalyzing challenges and activities to the staff and elders that allow Bethel Church to remain true to its mission.
o Facilitates the implementation of strategic goals at each ministry level.
o Oversee training and development of strategic ministry leaders and ministries in collaboration with the Pastoral Staff.
o Ensure staffing, facilities and programs are appropriately and effectively aligned to best meet strategic goals.
o Assist in evaluating existing and developing new ministry initiatives.
• Financial Planning: Oversee the annual planning and budget processes by leading and equipping the financial team.
o Monitor the culture of our ministry region and the congregation through research and evaluation.
o Strategize, implement and evaluate all disciplemaking processes of the church (Community Groups are a vital part of our ministry).
o Set an example for elders, staff, and the body at large to follow by investing himself in one or more potential leaders, as well as in the lives of non-believers in his circle of influence.
Systems Leadership: Assess and oversee the development of administrative systems and structures that will facilitate growth and vitality throughout the church.
• Lead and manage church staff (personal meetings with each twice a month PLUS staff meetings each week).
• Work closely with the Senior Pastor in leading staff meetings and planning retreats.
• Directly responsible for hiring and dismissal of staff in collaboration with the Senior Pastor and Elders.
• Carries out an employee review process and a regular audit/survey of employee salaries and benefits.
• Oversee the health of staff relationships, being available for conflict resolution.
Pastor of Worship: (expected to be about 25% of his time use)
• Function in worship services as “lead worshiper” who engages with the music team and invites the congregation to encounter a holy God.
• Oversee and lead the variety of ministries involved in the weekend worship service with a view to coordination, consistency, excellence and timeliness.
• Recruit/Equip/Train and Encourage servants for current and future service and leadership in worship ministries such as…
o Music teams
o Sound technicians – video, sound and projection teams.
o Less frequent but occasional options such as drama, choir and orchestra or other worship-related opportunities.
• Develop message series with the senior pastor.
• Develop weekly services around weekly message (i.e. - plan the whole service except for the message).
• Preach up to 8 times per year (depending on giftedness, senior pastor's vacation or other reasons).
• Oversee and maintain all tech equipment purchases, installation and operation (audio, video, and camera systems) within budgetary limits.
Reports to: Senior Pastor
• Senior Pastor
• Elder Board
• Associate Pastoral staff
• Administrative support staff
• Working with the Senior Pastor and Head Elder, oversees the development of a process for the recruitment, training and development of elders.
• Ministry Leaders
• Administrative support staff
Preferred Skills and Experience
Education and/or Experience:
• Education and/or Experience in Organizational Leadership.
• Experience in leading a church through the transition associated with breaking through attendance plateaus/barriers would be a plus.
• Demonstrable experience as a strategist and implementer.
• Must have a strong knowledge of worship, music and leading worship.
• Must be an accomplished vocalist and musician (piano and guitar preferred).
• Must demonstrate leadership and creativity in planning, organizing and implementing worship.
• He must function well within a team setting and be highly collaborative and humble in approach.
• Demonstrate a vibrant, growing relationship with God that is evidenced in all areas of his life, including personal disciplines and balanced healthy family life.
• Be in thorough agreement with Bethel’s doctrinal statement, core values, and philosophy of ministry.
• Demonstrate a commitment to reproducing by investing himself personally in the lives of non-Christians as well as less mature believers, and by allowing other mature believers to invest in his life.
• Be personally accountable to at least one individual within the body of Bethel Church who has opportunity to observe his life and ministry at Bethel and in the world.
• Demonstrate a lifestyle of the “humility that comes from wisdom.” (James 3:13)
• Be proactively committed to building relationships of grace, trust, and teamwork among the staff and elders as a model of healthy body life for our entire church family.
• Be consistent in prayer for the body at large, and for individuals in whom he is pouring his life in discipleship relationships.
1 Timothy 3:1-7; Titus 1:6-9
• He must demonstrate the character of a elder as described in 1 Timothy and Titus.
• He must demonstrate the competencies of a man of God gifted to lead strategically with a pastor’s heart and commitment to the church as God’s instrument to reach this generation with the Gospel.
Exemption Status: This is a full time (40 -50 hrs/week) exempt salaried position.
To Apply: Send a resume to Bruce Dick at or call 701-662-3758