- Senior (Lead) Pastor
- Bethel Grove Bible Church
- Posted: 8/7/2014
- Hours: Full Time
- Ithaca, NY
Description:Bethel Grove Bible Church (http://bg.org/), established in 1952, is seeking a senior pastor to lead the church in following Jesus Christ to build His kingdom.
Summary of Opportunities
Bethel Grove Bible Church (BGBC) is a non-denominational, evangelical church located in Ithaca, the heart of the beautiful Finger Lakes region in central NY. From a ministry perspective, opportunities are immense for making an impact both locally and globally. As a college town, Ithaca is the home of Cornell University and Ithaca College, with more than 26,000 students representing more than 100 countries. The multigenerational church family consists of people from diverse cultures, ethnicities, and walks of life, including faculty, staff, and students from our local colleges, many young families, and several global missionaries. The children and youth are a vibrant part of the church family.
Our vision is to develop a strong community of believers who are spiritually maturing in Jesus Christ. We desire to nurture Christians who are confident in communicating their faith to others, both visually (through strong interpersonal relationships in marriage, family, business, etc.) and verbally (through the presentation of the gospel). We are blessed to be able to work toward the fulfillment of the Great Commission by embracing the transitory members of our congregation and, through them, impacting lives all over the world.
The church has two services on Sunday morning, one with traditional worship music and the other with contemporary worship music. Average attendance for both services combined is about 350 persons, plus about 80 to 100 children in Sunday school. This number has declined in recent years - a trend we hope to reverse.
The senior pastor has vacated this position to pursue his passion for providing pastoral training in Africa. In addition to the senior pastor, BGBC has two Associate Pastors (Young Families and Youth), a full-time administrative assistant, and several part-time staff members. Numerous volunteers also serve in the church. An elder board works with the pastors to provide spiritual leadership. In addition, BGBC has a deacon board, trustees, and deaconesses as well as other offices.
Bethel Grove Bible Church is committed to exalting the living God by creating a climate conducive to growth toward maturity in Christ so that all are motivated to service, both in the church and in the world, to the glory of God.
Current Ministry Goals
• Intentional discipleship
• Global and local outreach and mission.
• Leadership development
• Regional small groups
Responsibilities of the Senior Pastor
We are seeking a man who embraces the church vision and who will develop a ministry around both our goals and his gifts and vision. He will fulfill the duties of a pastor as described in Ephesians 4:11-13, Acts 20: 28-35, I Peter 5:1-3, I Timothy 5:17, and James 5:14. The senior pastor will:
• devote much time to prayer and personal Bible study to enhance his spiritual growth and to equip him for his other church responsibilities.
• provide a pulpit ministry that expounds the complete scriptures of God through doctrinally sound, expository, grace-oriented, and life-application preaching and teaching. This pulpit ministry also should include the presentation of evangelistic messages (even if brief) that clearly explain to non-Christians the need for salvation and how one becomes a Christian. The senior pastor will share the pulpit ministry with the other pastors in order to utilize their gifts.
• provide vision and leadership for the church as it seeks to carry out its mission and ministry goals.
• oversee the administration of the church office, events, programs, committees, communication, etc., to ensure that the church is effectively carrying out its mission.
• exhort the congregation to incorporate scriptural teaching and prayer in their daily lives.
• encourage and equip the congregation to grow in spiritual maturity.
• be available for pastoral care of members and friends of the church.
• foster participation of all its believers in the ministries of the church and the growth of Christ’s kingdom, according to their giftedness, passion, and calling.
• promote an environment where people from ethnically and racially diverse backgrounds are welcomed, valued highly, celebrated, encouraged to contribute to the life of the church, and can feel well connected to each other as a church family.
• support and provide pastoral care for our missionaries.
• support a strategy for expanding the small group ministry.
• administer the ordinances of baptism and communion.
• perform his duties as set forth in the church constitution and when appropriate, delegate responsibility to various lay leaders and the church staff.
• supervise the staff and coordinate their functions. He will meet regularly with the church staff and lay leaders for planning program development and evaluation.
• ensure that prospective members of the church are instructed in the Articles of Faith as set forth in the church constitution.
• actively engage other evangelical churches and leaders in order to serve Christ’s purposes through prayer, cooperative ministry, unity and fellowship.
Qualifications of the Senior Pastor
The senior pastor will fulfill the qualifications of a pastor (including equivalent biblical offices) described in I Timothy 3:1-7 and Titus 1:5-9. We seek a man with a minimum of a master’s degree in a biblical field of study from an accredited institution.
Furthermore, we seek a man who
• has a heart for God and has a Christ-like character of grace and love in alignment with the elder qualifications in scripture.
• has a fervent prayer life and growing personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
• possesses a deep knowledge and understanding of scripture, its historical and cultural context, and its application to people today.
• is skilled in dynamic preaching, teaching, and other forms of communication.
• if married, has a healthy marriage and family life.
• is highly relational.
• is a strong, compassionate leader who is also a team player and effective delegator.
• works well with diverse demographics and a multigenerational church family. This man must value the intellectual, cultural, and ethnic diversity and dynamic of the church family and community.
• has a minimum of 5 years of successful ministry.
• is committed long-term to the growth of Christ’s kingdom, both in Ithaca and around the globe.
Start Date: September 1, 2015 (or mutually agreeable to both parties)
Inquiries and Information: Please see the Bethel Grove Bible Church website (http://bg.org/) for more information on the Church. Inquiries regarding the position can be addressed to:
Don Viands Don Viands
Senior Pastor Search Chair Senior Pastor Search Chair
email@example.com Bethel Grove Bible Church
1763 Slaterville Road
Ithaca, NY 14850
Application Deadline: October 31, 2014 (applications accepted until position filled)
Application Procedures: Please send cover letter, resume, statement of faith with personal testimony, names and contact information of four references, and links to audios/videos of sermons via electronic format (e.g., PDF) to:
Senior Pastor Search Chair
We prefer candidates not send large audio and video files via email. If you do not have links to uploaded audio and video files, please send sample sermon(s) via DVD or MP3 format to the address below. If you are unable to send any materials electronically, please send hardcopies to this address.
Senior Pastor Search Chair
Bethel Grove Bible Church
1763 Slaterville Road
Ithaca, NY 14850