- Denver Rescue Mission
- Posted: 8/11/2014
- Salary/Range: $38K - $40K
- Hours: Full-time
- Denver, CO
Description:The Writer/Editor (WEP) is a full-time, exempt position of the Denver Rescue Mission that must hold to the doctrine and Constitution/ By-Laws of the Denver Rescue Mission.
The WEP must be willing to sign the Denver Rescue Mission Statement of Faith.
The WEP reports to the Director of Communications, and their responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
• Develop print project strategies and help guide creative work to meet fundraising goals.
• Analyze creative and copy results against the strategy.
• Recommend strategy changes to Director of Communications to improve effectiveness of print materials.
• Provide editorial advisement on print projects at various stages of development to ensure brand identity, consistent messaging and language, creativity, and accuracy.
• Review suggested changes from key staff members on print materials and make decisions regarding those changes.
• Photograph program participants, homeless people on the street, events, and groups to meet fundraising goals.
• Research, conceptualize, photograph, and write copy for 6 page monthly newsletter that’s distributed to between 40,000 and 80,000 donors per month, and for yearly Annual Report.
• Update 25 Fact Sheets regularly and write new ones.
• Solely responsible for writing, editing, producing, printing and delivering the Program Graduate newsletter.
• Write, edit, photograph, and deploy monthly Family Services e-Newsletter.
• Write copy and take photos for Denver Rescue Mission website, For Collins Rescue Mission website and Harvest Farm website.
• Produce interesting, educational copy for Mission brochures.
• Create and maintain production schedules to ensure printed materials are completed under time constraints.
• Maintain photo releases and organized photo files.
• Generate informative, persuasive and clear copy for in-house direct mail appeals.
• Edit copy for monthly giving letter and event materials.
• Schedule and conduct interviews with program participants, donors, mentors, and volunteers.
• Transcribe interviews and produce simple, direct, and persuasive copy that is read, understood and responded to.
• Provide edits for all Mission print materials and websites, and maintain and uphold editorial policies.
• Maintain summaries for monthly newsletter content and effectiveness.
• Submit monthly Publications highlights for Board Member report.
• Collaborate with and provide concept advisement to Graphic Designer.
• Build flexibility into production schedules in order to allow others to reasonably meet deadlines when things don’t go as planned.
• Work with staff to gather pertinent information for copy, and to check facts.
• Participate in brainstorming sessions with Communications team.
• Collaborate with team members and other Mission staff to provide best possible photos and copy concepts.
• Requires four year degree in Communications, Journalism, Advertising, or English.
• Requires copywriting ability with a background in print journalism and/or advertising.
• Capable of easily shooting high quality photos of program participants, street people, and groups.
• Familiar with Adobe Lightroom, PhotoShop and InDesign.
• Requires strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Windows and proficiency in Microsoft Word.
• Familiar with editing and print production processes.
• Ability to handle multiple projects while meeting established deadlines.
• Must be responsible, accountable, and have strong interpersonal skills.
• Must be highly motivated, coachable, respectful, and display a consistent positive attitude.
NOTE: A limited amount of work-related travel may be required occasionally.
To Apply: Send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to