Senior Pastor at First Baptist Church
- Posted: 3/13/2013
- Location: Sioux Falls, SD
- URL: http://www.firstbaptistsf.org/index.cfm
- Salary/Range: tbd
- Hours: full time
First Baptist Church
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
First Baptist Church in Sioux Falls, South Dakota invites applications for the position of Senior Pastor. First Baptist was organized on July 4, 1876 and has a long history of commitment to serving Christ through the congregation in the community, the nation and the world. In addition to a full program of worship and educational opportunities for the congregation, it founded the University of Sioux Falls, is home to the Children’s Center (pre-school programs and all day and after school children’s care programs) and supports a wide range of mission activities locally and internationally. First Baptist has developed the following purpose and mission statements:
PURPOSE AND MISSION STATEMENTS
Being Disciples...Making Disciples
The purpose of First Baptist Church is to glorify God through reaching people for Jesus Christ and making disciples!
This church is a community of faith seeking with God's help to live all of life under the lordship of Jesus Christ.
Our mission is...
...to “reach out” to share Christ,
...to “connect” people with the family of Christ,
...to “equip” people to serve Christ, and...
...to “send out” God's people in Christ's name to our community and the world.
The church’s full statement of faith is available at http://www.firstbaptistsf.org/index.cfm?ptype=article&article_id=19
In addition to the senior pastor, First Baptist has three additional full time associate pastors for youth, for children and family ministries and for discipleship ministries all of which are currently filled. First Baptist is a congregation with an average Sunday morning attendance of approximately 400 for the past two years.
First Baptist Church of Sioux Falls is a member of the American Baptist Church USA http://www.abc-usa.org/ and an active member of the American Baptist Churches of the Dakotas district http://www.abc-dakotas.org/.
Sioux Falls, SD is a vibrant, growing, economically strong city of approximately 160,000 and a metropolitan population of about 240,000. It has excellent schools, parks, and recreational facilities as well as outstanding opportunities for health care, cultural activities and athletic events.
Applications and additional information:
Letters of application and statements of interest addressing the expectations listed in the position description and the name and contact information for three references should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 20, 2013. Additional application materials will be provided to all applicants upon receipt of your application. All applications will be held in strict confidence and no names will be released unless the applicant is invited to Sioux Falls for an interview. For additional information please contact David Hilderbrand, Chair, Pastoral Search Committee at 605 362 9753 ¬¬¬or email@example.com.
First Baptist Church
Sioux Falls, SD
Senior Pastor Position Description
The Senior Pastor is the spiritual leader and Christ-led shepherd of First Baptist Church. The Senior Pastor’s primary role is to feed, nurture, train and teach the church.
1. Fulfill the primary preaching responsibilities for First Baptist Church.
2. Collaborate with the staff to plan inspirational worship services.
3. Lead ministry staff and Church Council in developing strategies and objectives. Assign tasks of implementing the work of the church to ministry staff and Standing Ministry Teams.
4. Oversee and coordinate ordained and lay leadership in providing for the ministry care needs of the congregation, including hospital and care facility visitation, homebound care, and prospect contacts. Participate in care and counseling.
5. Perform weddings and funerals as requested by the congregation.
6. Build, lead, supervise and develop a staff team. Assign tasks and delegate responsibilities base on skill, ability and interest of the staff.
7. Ensure that staff receives ongoing feedback and an annual, written performance evaluation.
8. Communicate regularly with staff, Church Council, Ministry Teams and other lay leaders.
9. Serve as a member of the Church Council and an ex-officio member of the Personnel Team.
10. Subject to the First Baptist Church Bylaws and the Personnel Handbook.
1. Committed to Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord.
2. Seek to live a life approved by God and worthy of respect before the church and community.
3. Called by Got to the pastorate and First Baptist Church.
4. Ordained and meets standards recognized by the American Baptist Churches, U.S.A.
The Senior Pastor is accountable to Church Council and subject to its authority. Council will conduct and annual performance review.
Church Council President
To Apply: Call David Hilderbrand at 605 362 9753 or send letter of interest and application to