Sawyer Corpsmember Summer 2013 at Mile High Youth Corps
- Posted: 2/20/2013
- Location: Denver, CO
- URL: http://milehighyouthcoprs.org
Position Title: Sawyer Corpsmember
Position Type: Temporary, position, 12 week program commitment
Location: 1801 Federal Blvd. Denver, CO 80204
Compensation: Living stipend of $640.00 per pay period, paid in bi-weekly installments Includes S212 Chainsaw Certification, First Aid/CPR training, transportation to projects, uniforms, and environmental education.
First pay date will be May 24th, 2013
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
* Required to work Friday May 31st, and Friday July 5th from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. due to holidays observed on Memorial Day (May 27th) and 4th of July (July 4th).
* Required to work: Friday, July 26th from 10 a.m. -- 12 p.m. for career and college readiness training.
* May be required to work: Friday June 7th, July 12th, and August 9th from 8:00 a.m. -- 12:00 p.m.
AmeriCorps Benefits: Corpsmembers are eligible for a $1,468.00 AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of 450 hours of service.
Season Dates: May 15 -- August 9, 2013
Orientation May 15th -- May 17th, 2013
* S212 training week of May 20th, 2013
11 week production season starts May 28th 2013 and runs to August 9th, 2013.
Reports To: Mile High Youth Corps Crew Leader
Mile High Youth Corps is a regional, non-profit, AmeriCorps (www.americorps.gov) affiliated organization that engages youth in terms of service that help the planet and provide pathways to a promising future. Corpsmembers work on conservation and environmental stewardship projects throughout the Denver metro area while engaging in meaningful education activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Successfully complete new Corpsmember orientation and S212 chainsaw training.
• Work on a crew with approximately 10 young adults completing service and conservation projects throughout the Denver metro area.
• Complete conservation projects on public lands throughout the Denver metro area and Front Range using basic tools, chainsaws, a chipper and other equipment. Project examples are forest thinning and restoration, invasive species removal, hazardous fuels reduction, park improvements and development.
• May be required to participate in Colorado Cares National Service Day, July 27, 2013.
• Fully participate in environmental education, leadership development, civic engagement, healthy lifestyles, career development, and service learning activities.
• Fully participate in all technical trainings related to the service projects.
• Adhere to all safety rules and regulations.
• Adhere to the rules and regulations specified in the MHYC Employee and Corpsmember Handbooks.
• Diligently practice Leave No Trace techniques.
• Must be between the ages of 18-24 and eligible for employment in the United States.
• High school or GED graduate.
• Must be physically fit, able to operate a chainsaw safely for up to 8 hours per day, lift 75 lbs., spend 8-10 hours a day in all weather conditions (e.g., sun, heat, wind, rain, etc.) and hike 7
miles with a day-pack.
• Available for a minimum of 450 hours of service, 40 hours per week.
• Able to be on time and maintain a minimum of 90% attendance rate through term of service.
• Experience or strong desire to learn the technical skills needed to effectively maintain public lands.
• Must commit to complete the program and participate fully in work projects, and education.
• Must be willing to appropriately represent Mile High Youth Corps both in behavior and dress code. Uniforms will be provided.
• Must be willing to work hard, actively participate as part of a team, and be dedicated to the Youth Corp philosophy.
• Experience with chainsaws highly preferred.
• Must bring identification documents necessary to complete the I-9 and other forms on your first day. Examples of such documents are a passport or a driver's license and social security card/birth certificate or other equivalent documents.
• Pre-service background check required. May be subject to FBI Background Check, which includes fingerprinting.
• Pre-service drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during term.
• Must be able to legally work in the United States, which will be verified via the federal E-Verify program.
Online: www.milehighyouthcorps.org (application under "Apply Now" in the top-right corner of our home page)
In person: Come to our headquarters at 1801 Federal Blvd., Denver, CO 80204.
Mail: Attn. Christy Gallese, 1801 Federal Blvd., Denver, CO 80204
Questions? Please call 720-407-7281 x325 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply: 303-433-1206 ext. 221