Water Conservation Corpsmember at Mile High Youth Corps
- Posted: 10/18/2013
- Location: Denver, CO
- URL: http://milehighyouthcorps.org
- Salary/Range: Stipend of $512 bi-weekly
- Hours: Full Time
Water Conservation Corpsmembers participate in an intensive, 22-week program that focuses on building technical skills and career readiness in a green job industry. Corpsmembers will serve in the Denver community installing high-efficiency toilets (HETs) and in the MHYC classroom focusing on teamwork, community service, life skills, career and college readiness training, and leadership development.
• Participate in and successfully complete new Corpsmember orientation and technical training.
• Engage on a small diverse team with a Crew Leader providing installation of new high-efficiency toilets throughout the Denver metro area for low-income residents. (Each installation helps save 140 gallons of water per week.)
• Collaborate with Client Intake department to fill weekly schedule for all Conservation teams.
• Interact with low-income clients to offer information on energy and water conservation techniques during technical installs or through neighborhood canvassing.
• Fully comply with agency policies and procedures regarding high quality work, installations, tool management, paperwork completion and data accuracy.
• Fully participate in environmental education, leadership development, civic engagement, healthy lifestyles, career development, independent living and service learning activities.
• Receive hands-on technical trainings including use of hand and power tools. Learn to problem solve diverse technical challenges in the work space.
• Adhere to the rules and regulations specified in the MHYC Corpsmember Handbook.
• Fully participate in safety trainings and adhere to agency safety rules and regulations.
• Fully participate in career readiness training activities
• Participate in training and support of other Corpsmembers; serve in various leadership positions.
• Demonstrate commitment to teamwork, communication and problem-solving.
• May be required to participate in additional training opportunities or complete a rotation on the MHYC Energy Conservation Crew installing energy saving devices.
• May be required to participate in Global Youth Service Day.
• Reports to MHYC Crew Leader.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Must be 18-24 years old
• Ability to read, write and speak fluently in English and Spanish preferred.
• High school or GED graduate.
• Valid Driver’s License preferred and have an insurable driving record if asked to drive.
• Desire to learn plumbing and water conservation skills.
• Able to lift 50 lbs.
• Able to conduct repetitive hand and arm motions.
• Able to maneuver in tight spaces, including bending and kneeling.
• Must make a strong commitment to term of service by being available for a minimum of 675 hours of service, 36 hours a week
• Preference given to local applicants living in the 15 county region of Colorado served by MHYC.
• Able to be on time and maintain a minimum of 90% attendance rate through term of service.
• Able to serve and learn with a positive attitude and show respect for others.
• Desire for personal challenge and self-development.
• Ability to engage with people from different backgrounds and demographics.
• Experience or a desire to engage with a diverse group of young adults ages 18-24.
• Must bring identification documents necessary to complete the I-9 and other forms on your first day. Examples of such documents are a passport or a driver’s license and social security card/birth certificate or other equivalent documents.
• Pre-service background check required. May be subject to FBI Background Check, which includes fingerprinting.
• Pre-service drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during term.
• Must be able to legally work in the United States, which will be verified via the federal E-Verify program.
• Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident. Documentation will be required on the first day.
Hours and Stipend:
• This is a temporary position, January 27, 2014 – June 27, 2014.
• Schedule: Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Corpsmembers may be required to serve occasional Friday afternoons from 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Schedule may vary depending on projects.
• Corpsmembers earn a stipend of $512.00 bi-weekly.
• Benefits are not provided.
AmeriCorps Education Award:
A Corpsmember is eligible for a $2,114.00 AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of 675 hours of service.
Mile High Youth Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This program is available to all, without regard to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation, or, in most instances, religion.
Online: www.milehighyouthcorps.org (click “apply now”)
In person/mail: 1801 Federal Blvd. Denver, CO 80204
* If you have questions about the position, please email email@example.com or call 720-407-7281 x325