- Sawyer Day Crew Corpsmember
- Mile High Youth Corps
- Posted: 2/24/2014
- Hours: Monday- Thursday, 7:30 a.m.- 6 p.m.
- Denver, CO
Description:Sawyer Corpsmember- Position Description 2014 Summer Season
Position Title: Sawyer Corpsmember
Position Type: Temporary, position, 18-12 week program commitment
Location: 1801 Federal Blvd. Denver, CO 80204
Stipend: Living stipend of $640.00 per pay period, paid in bi-weekly installments
Includes S212 Chainsaw Certification, First Aid/CPR training, transportation to
projects, uniforms, and environmental education.
Hours: Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
* Required to work Friday, May 30th from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. due to holiday
observed on Memorial Day (May 26)
* May be required to work: Friday June 6th, July 11th, and August 8th from
8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Season Dates: May 14 – August 8, 2014
Orientation May 14th – May 16th, 2014
* S212 training week of May 19th, 2014
11 week production season starts May 27, 2014 and runs to August 8, 2014.
AmeriCorps Benefits: Corpsmembers serving May 14 – August 8, 2014 are eligible for a $1,468.00
AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of 450 hours of
Early Season Dates: April 2 – August 8, 2014
*S-212 chainsaw training week of April 7th
17 week production season starts April 14, 2014 and run to August 8, 2014
AmeriCorps Benefits: Corpsmembers serving April 2 – August 8, 2014 are eligible for a $2,114.00
AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of 675 hours of
Reports To: Mile High Youth Corps Crew Leader
Mile High Youth Corps is a regional, non-profit, AmeriCorps (www.americorps.gov) affiliated
organization that engages youth in terms of service that help the planet and provide pathways to a
promising future. Corpsmembers work on conservation and environmental stewardship projects
throughout the Denver metro area while engaging in meaningful education activities.
Duties & Responsibilities:
• Successfully complete new Corpsmember orientation and S212 chainsaw training.
• Work on a crew with approximately 10 young adults completing service and conservation
projects throughout the Denver metro area.
• Complete conservation projects on public lands throughout the Denver metro area and Front
Range using basic tools, chainsaws, a chipper and other equipment. Project examples are
forest thinning and restoration, invasive species removal, hazardous fuels reduction, park
improvements and development.
• May be required to participate in Colorado Cares National Service Day.
• Fully participate in environmental education, leadership development, civic engagement,
healthy lifestyles, career development, and service learning activities.
• Fully participate in all technical trainings related to the service projects.
• Adhere to all safety rules and regulations.
• Adhere to the rules and regulations specified in the MHYC Employee and Corpsmember
• Diligently practice Leave No Trace techniques.
• Must be between the ages of 18-24 and eligible for employment in the United States.
• High school or GED graduate.
• Must be physically fit, able to operate a chainsaw safely for up to 8 hours per day, lift 75 lbs.,
spend 8-10 hours a day in all weather conditions (e.g., sun, heat, wind, rain, etc.) and hike 7
miles with a day-pack.
• Available for a minimum of 657-450 hours of service, 40 hours per week.
• Able to be on time and maintain a minimum of 90% attendance rate through term of service.
• Experience or strong desire to learn the technical skills needed to effectively maintain public
• Must commit to complete the program and participate fully in work projects, and education.
• Must be willing to appropriately represent Mile High Youth Corps both in behavior and dress
code. Uniforms will be provided.
• Must be willing to work hard, actively participate as part of a team, and be dedicated to the
Youth Corp philosophy.
• Experience with chainsaws highly preferred.
• Must bring identification documents necessary to complete the I-9 and other forms on your first
day. Examples of such documents are a passport or a driver’s license and social security
card/birth certificate or other equivalent documents.
• Pre-service background check required. May be subject to FBI Background Check, which
• Pre-service drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during term.
• Must be able to legally work in the United States, which will be verified via the federal E-Verify
To Apply: Online: www.milehighyouthcorps.org (application under “Apply Now” in the top-right corner of our home page) 3 In person: Come to our headquarters at 1801 Federal Blvd., Denver, CO 80204. Mail: Attn. Gabe Buzinski, 1801 Federal Blvd., Denver, CO 80204 Fax: