Director of Music and the Arts at St. James Presbyterian Church
- Posted: 6/26/2013
- Location: Littleton, CO
- URL: http://www.sjpres.org
- Salary/Range: $35,000/year
- Hours: 30 hours per week
St. James Presbyterian Church, Littleton Colorado
DIRECTOR OF MUSIC AND THE ARTS
PURPOSE: The Director of Music and the Arts provides leadership for our music and arts ministries for the 9:00 a.m. worship service, which includes direction of the choir, ensembles and handbells. This is a three quarter time position.
ACCOUNTABILITY: The Director of Music and the Arts is accountable to the Pastor/Head of Staff and to the Session through the Human Resources Team.
RELATIONSHIPS: The Director of Music and the Arts must have a personal dynamic relationship with Jesus Christ. This person must value teamwork and building healthy relationships. An ideal candidate demonstrates excellence in choral and music conducting, and is familiar with both traditional and contemporary music. Experience in directing handbell choirs is desirable. This person will display a desire to lead the congregation in the worship of God through music and the arts.
Music and Arts
• Plan and oversee the development, rehearsals and presentations of our sanctuary choir, ensembles, bell choir, soloists and other artists for our 9:00 a.m. worship service.
• Provide a positive environment for those in the St. James music ministries.
• Work closely with the pastors to integrate music and artistic expressions that support the worship/preaching themes.
• Provide staff support for the Worship Committee (a group of committed lay people who lead in the planning and coordination of the activities of the Music and Arts ministry).
• In partnership with The Director of Contemporary Worship, design and lead special programming for the Christmas and Easter seasons and occasional combined worship services.
• Encourage the development of innovative expressions of the arts.
• Under the direction of the pastor, participate in weekly worship planning meetings, providing creative input related to music and the arts.
• As a part of the staff team, collaborate in weekly staff meetings.
• Coordinate with those who prepare material for worship bulletins and media, and for the staging for music and the arts.
• Oversee music and media ministry for funerals, weddings and special services.
• Assist the Worship Elders in developing and following the budget for the Worship and Arts ministry. This includes: oversight of the purchase, maintenance and repair of musical instruments and sound equipment, supervision of the music libraries, and contracting with outside musicians, as needed.
• Oversee the annual music and arts worship planning calendar.
• Provide staff support and liaison for the Concert Series ministry.
• Participate in both short and long range planning for worship.
• Desire to live as a growing follower and representative of Jesus, with a commitment toward the fulfillment of the Great Commandment and Great Commission.
• Be a person of high moral character, integrity and compassion.
• Demonstrate experience in choral and instrumental direction, with a focus on musical excellence.
• Embrace the mission, vision and core values of St. James Presbyterian Church.
• Exhibit a strong vision for music and arts in worship, and be able to work in a variety of musical styles.
• Proven leadership ability to facilitate spiritual growth and artistic excellence among all members of the worship and arts ministry.
• Demonstrate vocal and musicianship skills for worship leadership.
• Five or more years of experience leading worship and music ministry is desired, as is experience in directing a handbell choir.
• Demonstrate excellence in oral and written communication skills.
• Exhibit interpersonal, leadership and organizational skills.
The Pastor/Head of Staff reviews performance and compensation for this position annually, with appropriate input from the Human Resources Team.
This is a three quarter time, non-ordained position, with benefits. Salary will be determined by qualifications, experience and education. Salary range begins at $35,000, plus benefits.
TO APPLY: If interested, please send resume by July 15, 2013 to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To Apply: Send resume to