Youth Outreach Intern at TreeHouse
- Posted: 11/7/2013
- Location: Minneapolis, MN
- URL: http://http:www.treehouseyouth.org
- Salary/Range: $3.3K for 11 weeks with $1.5K being raised by intern from own personal network (training provided)
- Hours: 45 hrs. per week for 11 weeks
TreeHouse interns learn and develop ministry skills for work with at-risk teens. Internships allow students to apply acquired knowledge and concepts to real life problems experienced by youth, parents, and families. Interns receive in-depth training and mentoring in this hand-on youth ministry role.
Our competitive, full-time 11-week summer internship is ideal for students considering careers in youth ministry and may also interest candidates with backgrounds in psychology, social work, education, and communication. Interns experience every function of our regular staff positions including teaching, leading trips and weekly gatherings, and one-to-one direct service/ministry with students.
Primary Objective of Position: This position is primarily responsible for providing guidance, mentorship, and support to teens through mentoring relationships.
Qualifications: All applicants must love kids, care deeply about hurting families, and have a personal faith in Jesus Christ which is compatible with TreeHouse’s statement of faith and philosophy of ministry. It is strongly preferred that applicants are in their junior or senior year of college or have completed their college degree, preferably in social work, psychology, education, youth/family ministry or a related field.
This is a paid internship of $3.3K and applicant must be able to raise $1.5K of it through his/her personal network (training provided).
Ministry Philosophy: TreeHouse exists to bring hope and transform lives through the power of the Gospel. Every student learns that he/she is lovable, capable and worthwhile.
Training Objectives: Interns will learn:
• To assess the needs of teens
• To use reflective listening skills in a support group setting
• To design and implement Teen Hope lesson plans
• To develop appropriate and meaningful one to one relationships
• To manage time effectively, develop professionalism and set and maintain boundaries
• To plan and implement youth trips and/or activities
• To use conflict resolution skills
• To manage crowds and set boundaries for participants
• To integrate spirituality into programs that includes many non-Christians and unchurched teens
• To observe and facilitate support groups
• To network with community agencies and churches
• To work with youth from a family systems perspective within the TreeHouse model of outreach
• To bridge gaps between teens and parents, having learned a ‘systems’ approach to teens and their problems
Appointment: Interested candidates should go to www.treehouseyouth.org (Get Involved, Careers drop down menu) and complete application and submit along with their cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the position you are applying for in the subject line of the email and share your calling to ministry in the letter.